Tuesday, January 27, 2015

TELL MA I MADE IT.

"OY WHAT A DAY I HAD TODAY!"- Fanny Brice, Funny Girl

Hello from beautiful Rome!
I am here safe and sound, and living the Lizzie McGuire dream. Hopefully I find my Paolo and become an international pop star! Probs not. Just the average American girl living the long time dream of hers to live in Rome. But getting here was serious stuff guys, I'm talking paperwork up to your eyeballs and lots and lots of emails but so incredibly worth it. I've been here for two days and already I'm in love with the city. I am sad to be away from my beloved family and very treasured friends, but I came to grow and learn more about the history of Italy and eat more than my fair share of gelato and pizza. So here's to the good eats of Italy! Huzzah!

Day uno:
We can fly, we can fly, we flew! Holy canoli kids. Waking up at 5:00 am is not an easy task, I don't know how people can be fully awake at such a silly time. I frankly don't like it! I couldn't even function, let alone think, so the airport was a bit of a struggle. But I managed to force a smile and get pumped cause I was about to be in Rome in a short 15 hours. Nah the flying wasn't that bad though! After 2 movies, 3 hours of How to Get Away With Murder, 2 hours of The Big Bang Theory, 2 hour layover in Atlanta (peach smoothie, cause #georgiapeach ✔️) and 2 hours of unsuccessful attempts at sleeping, we made it. But like flying into Rome was perfect! We could see the ocean and all the little houses and it made me giddy, like the city was awaiting my arrival and I couldn't wait to see what it had in store. I'm so lucky to be on this study abroad with Chan. She is such an example of positivity and light that I find myself lacking sometimes. After a very fast paced and traffic jammed ride from the airport to our lovely apartment Chan and I were ready to die. I mean jet lag definitely got the best of us. Different times during the day we were either slap happy and laughing at the literally everything or we were just so quiet and desperate for a nap. BUT to my demise people advised me not to take a nap on the first day and all would be well... uh nooooo! I saw nay! I need my sleep. We did everything to take our minds off of napping. We showered cause like nasty plane feeling, walked around our little neighborhood, talked with the new roomies, unpacked, everything. We couldn't do it, my body started to lose it and I was started to get all shakes and weird!! But it's okay cause I napped anyway and I felt just fine! So HA to those who told me other wise. ISA, the company in charge, took us to the most amazing dinner! It was beautiful and so delicious!! Pasta, veal with prosciutto, roasted potatoes, and tiramisu! Bliss.



We came home and crashed cause we haven't slept in 42 hours since waking up from the airport the day before... All in all I know this is going to be the most amazing trip in all my years.It was all so perfect. Not to mention all the wonderful sights we saw whilst riding the tram to dinner.

Day due:
Lost. I'm telling you straight up lost, in a foreign country barely speaking the language... Scary as going a month with no Netflix. Terrifying right?? But you wanna know a secret, that's where I feel like I found some cool treasures!




Rome in the rain= perfection
We had orientation this morning and we found the directions and had the perfect amount of time to get there on time with no stress. Nope not at all! Hahaha. We accidentally took the tram instead of the bus. So we took a crazy long way to get there but I feel like I learned more about myself than I wold have by sitting in an orientation. Although the orientation would have helped greatly! But the Program directors are so kind and they helped us along. The first night they told us they wanted us to get lost because that makes us learn faster and that makes sense! They were smart for that! Anyway after all the boring things like getting school ids and making sure we had the correct documents, we went to got lunch.
Suppli. Deep Fried. Rice, Tomato Mozzarella. PERFECTION!
Suppli=delicious!!!! Totally recommended! You gotta try it. Then we had a walking tour of Rome We saw all types of historical monuments, from the Pantheon to the Trevi Fountain.


Roomies- Me, Megan, Chan, Crystal, and Sarah (missing MJ)




The Pantheon



GELATO
I was robbed my Lizzie McGuire moment because it is under construction! But we got gelato and continued to walk aimlessly around until we found a bus and continued home. Yes the number of selfies is.... well a lot. But I can't help it! Plus I mean #selfie. I thoroughly enjoyed my past two days and I cannot wait to see what the next two months have in store for me. I'm so thankful for this opportunity and I hope you who want to follow along with me in la bella Rome!

Dear Rome,
I love you. 
Until next time,
-O



No comments:

Post a Comment