Sunday, August 2, 2015

greatness.

Today was...special. As all Sundays are. I was sitting in bed trying to decide whether or not to go to church today. The normal excuses started to fill my mind. "I'm still super tired. My bed is unbelievably comfy" Very sad, silly reasons to not to go church. But then I found myself crawling out of bed, and putting on make up. I told myself I was going to go and enjoy myself, and I did. I think my heart knew that there was something I really needed to hear today, and I am so very happy I didn't stay home. I choose to listen to my heart and follow the spirit.

Today was testimony meeting, and many people were getting up to share what they knew and believed. As I was sitting there reflecting silently to myself, a girl stood up and started reading my favorite hymn. "How Great Thou Art". I am sure everyone knows the lyrics but I feel promoted to share them now. 

O Lord, my God, when I in awesome wonder
Consider all the worlds Thy Hands have made;
I see the stars, I hear the rolling thunder,
Thy power throughout the universe displayed

Then sings my soul, My Savior God, to Thee,
How great Thou art, how great Thou art.
Then sings my soul, My Savior God, to Thee,
How great Thou art, how great Thou art!

And when I think of God, His Son not sparing;
Sent Him to die, I scarce can take it in;
That on the Cross, my burden gladly bearing,
He bled and died to take away my sin.

Then sings my soul, My Savior God, to Thee,
How great Thou art, how great Thou art.
Then sings my soul, My Savior God, to Thee,
How great Thou art, how great Thou art!

When Christ shall come with shout of acclamation
And lead me home, what joy shall fill my heart!
Then I shall bow with humble adoration,
And then proclaim, "My God, how great Thou art!"

Then sings my soul, My Savior God, to Thee,
How great Thou art, how great Thou art.
Then sings my soul, My Savior God, to Thee,
How great Thou art, how great Thou art! 

My heart is beaming as I am reading over that again. After reading the hymn this girl proceeded to say something that has stuck with me all day. She said "I am truly humbled that someone so great, sees greatness in me." That was so powerful to me. Our Savior does see greatness in all of us and he knows our full potential. Whenever we are filled with doubt, sadness, fear, sorrow, grief, joy, or anything we can turn to our Savior and He will be there to comfort us or be happy with us. He will wipe away my tears and lift me when I am low. He knows what I can accomplish and he sees the best in all of us. 

We need to keep our eyes focused on Christ, and we will never waiver. Life can get scary and we can get caught up in the worldly things. In Sunday School we learned about fear in a conference talk this past April. Fear can over come us and we can get blind sighted. We named some common fears that we as young adults have like: the future, dating, school, student loans, job market, and other things. We then listed ways we could over come those fears. We decided that we would need faith and trust in our Lord. Fear and Faith cannot exist together, because when we are fearing we are not trusting in God's plan. This great and all powerful being knows what is in store for us, yet we continue to second guess Him. I do it too, because I am nowhere near being perfect. But I aspire to be more like Him every day. Some days are hard and I just take it one step at a time. 

Today helped me to check in and think where I am at. I fear a lot of things in this world. The world has gotten very hard for our generation but I know that we are all here to make a difference. We are strong and capable of change. We just have to take it one step at a time. Through the Savior I can do hard things. We just need to keep our eyes focused on Him. I was so grateful for this lesson because it really hit home. I know I can be doing more to stay focused on the Savior. He will silence my fears, lift me up, make me smile, and He will continue to make me brave. 


Until next time,
-O

No comments:

Post a Comment